How to start a sport or physical activity group
Are you planning to start a sport or physical activity group in your local area? Do you already have an informal group that you would like to become a more formal structure? This guide will help you go about the process of creating a sustainable and structured group. We’ve tried to include as much as possible that you will need to consider, to successfully start your group.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Why do you want to set this group up?
- Why is this group needed? Do you know if there is enough demand? Is there anything similar locally?
- What is the purpose of the group (social, getting active, competition etc)
- What does the community want from the group?
- What facilities will you use? Are they accessible facilities?
- How often will your group’s sessions run?
- How will you promote the group?
- How will you attract new participants?
- How big do you want the club to be?
- Who is your group for?
- Who will be on the committee? What roles will they have?
- Who will be delivering the sport or physical activity? Do you have coaches and volunteers?
- When will your activity take place?
- When do you want your group to launch?
Planning your group will provide clear structure, vision and purpose. It is important to take time to research existing sport or physical activity groups, as well as understanding levels of interest amongst the community
Even if your sports or physical activity group is established and has already been playing informally, you should still take time to review, plan and prepare for formalising your group.